CARR TOWNSHIP HISTORY
By Bernice Martin
(written prior to 1992) Other Medora firms have- or have had- the distinction
of being in business for more than half century. The Medora
Brick CO. was organized in 1906 by a small group of local
men. Stock in the company was sold . The present ownership,
now under the direction of James P. Heller , dates from
1923. The annual output of all kinds of building brick
totals about 14,000,000. The original source of shale and clay
near the plant has been exhausted, and the current supply
comes from a quarry a short distance North of Medora.
Ludwig Ernst (1854- 1915) founded the business that
was carried on in later years by his sons. Otto W. ,ran the
general store until his death in 1952. Harry ran the
hardware store, and later ran a meat market and restaurant
He was active in the late 50's . The Ernst general store
building is now occupied by Shepherds Food Market, under the
ownership of Harold Shepherd. MR. Shepherd started the store
across the street from the post office in 1947, moving into
the Ernst building in 1967. Randy Miser , owner of Randy's
Market, started in the Ernst Hardware building in 1966.
The Hague funeral Home at the corner of Perry &
ST's, was founded by William L . Hague in 1906. It is now
conducted by MRS. Vera Hague, a daughter-in-law of W. L.
The milling firm of Bundy Bros. & Sons INC., also in
operation more than half a century, is mentioned elsewhere.
The State Bank of Medora occupies a handsome
white-pillared building ,which bears the date of 1900.
Before a re-organization in post depression days , it
was called Medora State Bank. Present officers are:
Sherrill, pres., Frank Hill, vice pres.; Bonnie Singer,
cashier; and Dennis Wayman, asst. cashier.
Members of the board of directors are; Floyd H. Stark,
Chairman; Ralph E. Peters; and Edwin Kasting.
Medora has had several hotels. In 1876, Vincent
Lockman Beem( called Lock) and his family moved to Medora
from their Carr Township farm. In addition to a hardware
business , he owned and operated the Beem Hotel which stood
just East of the senior citizen center. People still speak
of the attractive appearance of the building and remember the
beautiful flowers. In the 1920's MRS V. Trueblood ran a
hotel. In the early 1900's John Sickles owned the hotel on
the corner of Main and Perry ST. It was bought in 1922 by
MRS. Ann Eshom, and operated by her for several years. It
changed hands several times before the Don Kinders bought it
and opened the Kountry Kitchen in 1975.
Medora's largest industry is the Emconite Division of
Electric Manufacturing Company was established in
Medora, May 1957 by Amerace Corporation.
In the mid 60's the company's name was shortened to "
EMC Plastics" and in April , 1973 EMCPlastics merged with a
sister company ( Stimsonite) with another name change--
Emconite is a high volume custom plastic processor
with uniquely comprehensive capabilities for injection
molding, chrome plating , finishing and fabricating a wide
variety of plastic material.
Emconite is an established supplier of parts for
automotive trim , plumbing hardware, telephone equipment.
These include telephone dials, air conditioner outlets,
appliance trim, bezels, knobs, key buttons and during the
period from 1972 to early 1975, was the sole supplier of the
chrome plated camera case for the Polaroid SX-70 camera.
The level of the work force over the period of years
has ranged from an approximate low of 8 to a high of 700
employees. The present workforce averages about 250
Medora business firms in this Bicentennial year not
previously mentioned include: Toon moters; Phillips 66
Service Station; Waymans Marathon Station; Phillips Dairy
Bar; Persinger Restaurant; Barnes Package Store; The H. E.
Curry Feed Mill; The Thomas W. Hall Lumber Co.; Denver Early
Electric Service; Hinderliders Speed Wash; Thedford
Stafford, Contractor; Debbi's Beauty Shop; Wright's Beauty
Shop, Barber Shop; Wayne Howell, Barns Appliances and Jewell
Medora's newest business is Keller's Corner Dress Shop
at the corner of Adams and Perry Streets, which was opened
on March 9 by David and Alice Keller.
Farming continues to be an important industry in Carr
Township , though vastly different from that of a century
ago, or even a quarter century ago. The small family farms
tended by horse , oxen and man-power have given way to
mechanized farming, which demands much greater acreage and
the elimination of small fenced fields. Farmers who once
produced several kinds of grain , fruit, poultry and live
stock; butchered their own meat and milked their own cows,
are now more specialized. Many items once produced at home
now come from supermarkets. In recent years, many old eroded
fields have been converted to productive grazing land .
Several farmers combine hog-raising and grain -farming .
Sheep raising , once an important phase of stock-raising-- a
century ago it was a necessity-- now is almost non-existent.
The largest farms in Carr Township are in the river bottoms
, where some farmers tend several hundred acres.
The town of Medora , incorporated in 1871, is governed
by an elected Town Board, currently composed of James Fish,
President; Robert Price, Joseph Campbell, and Judy Mitchell,
clerk- treasurer. Bill Drees is town marshal. Randy Miser
has been chief of the combined Medora & Carr Township Fire
dept. for the past five years. The force numbers about 20
volunteer firemen and owns two trucks.
After a disastrous fire in the late 1930's which
destroyed a filling station , a blacksmith shop, the Beem
Hotel and two residences, the town officials proposed the
purchase of a town water system. A town election held,
residents raised $33,000.00 , and received a WPA grant for
$28,000.00. B. E. Davis of Medora, was in charge of the
project which was started in Oct. 1939 and completed in
April 1940. Because of the efficient and economical work of
MR. Davis, the town board turned back to the WPA more than
$9,000.00. The water system has been extended and a sewage
system installed in recent years.
Medora has had a post office for more than a century.
The present office has a third class rating, and serves 350
families in town. George M. Smith is Post Master. Tom
Byarlay carries the mail on Medora's one rural route which
covers 85 miles, and serves 335 families.
In 1973, a Senior Citizens Center was opened in the
building known as " The Egg House". The center has an
attractive and comfortable assembly room and a well-equipped
and roomy kitchen. Facilities are ample for various crafts and
activities and social occasions. Present officers are;
President, MRS. Flora Beavers; Vice Pres., MRS. Aretta
Motsinger; Secretary, MRS. Mabel Henderson; Treasurer, MRS
Hazel Umphress; reporter, MRS. Avah Nelle Ollis.
About one mile East of Medora on ST. Road 235 the old
Medora covered bridge still spans White river . Abanded
when a new bridge was opened late in 1973 , it was saved
from destruction by order of Gov. Edgar D. Whitcomb.
It was built by Joseph J. Daniels , one of the most
famous of covered bridge builders, and a master craftsman in
Burr Truss ( ARCH) construction, and was opened for traffic
in July , 1875. It is the only remaining 3-span bridge left
in Indiana, and it's length of 434 feet makes it the longest
in Indiana since the demolition of the Tunnelton Bridge. It
is hoped that funds will be made available for restoration
and preservation of this historic structure.